Background: Rice is a staple food for majority of the world’s population. Biotic and abiotic factors can affect its growth, yield and quality attributes. An open field experiment was conducted during the rice-growing period from March to October 2015 to identify the effects of different planting densities and planting spacing on the growth attributes and yield performances of a high tillering capacity Indica rice variety (IR-28).
Materials and Methods: The experiment was conducted under lowland condition in the research farm of Tsukuba International Center, Japan with four different planting densities and three replications in a randomized complete block design. Four different planting densities were selected as high density (15x20cm), standard density (15x30cm), medium density (25x25cm) and low density (30x30cm). Rice growth traits including plant length, tiller number, SPAD value and leaf color; yield and yield components consisting of panicle number per unit land area, spikelet number per panicle, ripening ratio, and 1000 grain weight were compared.
Findings: The greatest grain yield was obtained from high planting density which was 6.5 ton per ha and the lowest (5.8 ton/ha) was from medium planting density. Low planting density increased plant length, tiller number per hill, SPAD value (chlorophyll content), leaf color beside panicle number per hill, spikelet number per panicle and percentage of ripened grain.
Conclusion: This study clearly elucidated the effects of planting density on rice crop and helps farmers in the achievement of optimum yield. Thus, to obtain a satisfactory yield, planting density must be considered based on soil type and production requirement.
KeywordsGrowth, Yield, Planting Density, Planting Space, Rice
- Akita, K., Tanaka, N. (1992). Effect of planting density and planting patterns of young seedlings transplanting on the growth and yield of rice plant. Japan Journal of Crop Science, 61, 80-86.
- Asmamaw, B. A. (2017). Effects of planting density on growth, yield and yield attributes of rice (Oryza sativa L.). African Journal of Agricultural Researches, 35, 2713-2721.
- Baloch, A. W., Soomro, A. M., Javed, M. A., Ahmed, M. (2002). Optimum plant density for high yield in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Asian Journal of Plant Science, 1, 25-27.
- Bozorgi, H. R., Faraji, A., Danesh, R. K., Keshavarz, A., Azarpour, E., Tarighi, F. (2011). Effect of plant density on yield and yield components of rice. World Applied Science Journal, 12, 2053-2057.
- Chandrankar, B. L., Khan, R. A. (1981). Optimum spacing for early medium and late duration tall indica rice cultivars. Oryza, 18, 108-109.
- Fadaga, S. O. and De Datta, S. K. (1971). Leaf area index, tillering capacity, and grain yield of tropical rice as affected by plant density and nitrogen level. Agronomy, 63, 503-506.
- Fukushima, A., Shiratsuchi, H., Yamaguchi, H., Fukuda, A. (2011). Effects of nitrogen application and planting density on morphological traits, dry matter production and yield of large grain type rice variety bekoaoba and strategies for super high yielding rice in the Tohoko region of Japan. Plant Production Science, 14, 56-63.
- Hoshikawa, K. (1989). In: The Growing Rice Plant, an anatomical monograph: Panicle, Flower and Grain. First Ed. Nobunkyo, Tokyo, Japan, 280-281.
- Huang, M., Yang, C., Ji, Q., Jinang, L., Tan, J., Li, Y. (2013). Tillering responses of rice to plant density and nitrogen rate in a subtropical environment of southern China. Field Crops Research, 149, 187-192.
- Jeon, W. T., Seong, K. Y., Lee, J. K., Oh, I. S., Lee, Y. H., Ok, Y. S. (2010). Effects of green manure and carbonized rice husk on soil properties and rice growth. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, 43, 484-489.
- Kakar, K., Xuan, T. D., Haqani, M. I., Rayee, R., Wafa, I. K., Abdiani, S., Tran, H. D. (2019a). Current situation and sustainable development of rice cultivation and production in Afghanistan. Agriculture, 9(3), 49-56.
- Kakar, K., Nitta, Y., Asagi, N., Komatsuzaki, M., Shiotsu, F., Kokubo, T., Xuan, T. D. (2019b). Morphological analysis on comparison of organic and chemical fertilizers on grain quality of rice at different planting densities. Plant Production Science, 22(4), 510-518.
- Kakar, K., Xuan, T. D., Abdiani, S., Wafa, I. K., Noori, Z., Attai, S... Tran, H. D. (2019c). Morphological observation and correlation of growth and yield characteristics with grain quality and antioxidant activities in exotic rice varieties of Afghanistan. Agriculture, 9(8), 167-178.
- Lin, X. Q., Zhu, D. F., Chen, H. Z., Cheng, S. H., Uphoff, N. (2009). Effect of plant density and nitrogen fertilizer rates on grain yield and nitrogen uptake of hybrid rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Sustainable Development, 1, 44-53.
- Mobasser, H. R., Delarestaghi, M. M., Khorgami, A., Tari, B. D., Pourkalhor, H. (2007). Effect of planting density on agronomical characteristics of rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties in North of Iran. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science, 18, 3205-3209.
- Sheieh, Y. J. (1977). Effect of planting density on community photosynthesis and on yielding components of rice plants. Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, 18, 153-168.
- Uddin, J., Hasan, M., Ahmed, S., Hasan, M. (2010). Effect of spacing on morphology and yield response of different aroma rice cultivars under costal high land ecosystem. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research, 44, 251-258.
- Uddin, J., Ahmed, S., Harun, O. R., Hasan, M., Asaduzzaman. (2011). Effect of spacing on the yield and yield attributes of transplanted aroma rice cultivars in medium lowland ecosystem of Bangladesh. Journal of Agricultural Research, 49, 465-476.
- Wu, G., Wilson, L. T., McClung, A. M. (1998). Contribution of rice tillering to dry matter accumulation and yield. Agronomy, 90, 317-323.